Beaux is a sweet and friendly 6 month old Catahoula dog who presented to Gallatin Vet Hospital after his nose and muzzle were accidentally struck by an ax.  Beaux was very brave and was hardly whimpered during the initial exam. He was given pain medications and sedatives to allow the area to be cleaned and assessed.  Lidocaine gel was placed in the wound to provide additional pain relief.  Once relaxed, X-rays of the nose and upper jaw were taken to assess if any of the tooth roots were affected.  Luckily all of the damage appeared to be soft tissue.  (This picture was taken at Beaux’s 2 week recheck, Looking good!)

***Caution—-The following photos may be graphic***


Check out this great idea!

If you have a kitty who is just not thrilled with wearing an e-collar/cone? How about this idea that our client Laurie sent us after Tigger tangled with something he shouldn’t have.


Gallatin Veterinary Hospital would like you to meet Andre. He is our newest cutie to have been helped by our Loyalty Rewards members. Andre is a four-month-old Yorkshire Terrier who is small in size but large in heart. He was surrendered to the Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter after suffering a painful humeral fracture.


Meet this gorgeous athlete, Bridget!


She is a 6-year-old English Labrador Retriever that loves to hunt birds with Dad.
Bridget tore her achilles tendon and had to have surgery with Dr. Mark Albrecht the summer of 2011.


Meet Henry,a totally cute 19 week old Golden Retriever owned by a local farming family who loves him very much. Henry’s arrival into this family of nine was very much anticipated, however his accident was not. On the day of Henry’s accident it was hot. After a fun time romping in the sun, Henry decided that a nap was in order. So, he found a shady spot to take a rest. Unfortunately it was under the family car. Sure enough the car ran over his right hind leg and broke the capitol physis of his femur.

Here’s Finnegan!

We are not entirely sure what happened to Finnegan but whatever it was, it wasn’t good. He was taken to the Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter with bumps, bruises, missing hair and just not wanting to move. Radiographs showed that Finnegan was suffering from a fracture of the left femur.


Cat’s Love Playing with Thread!

Simon, an 11-year-old domestic shorthair cat, presented to Gallatin Veterinary Hospital because his owner was pretty sure he had eaten a needle with some thread attached. On physical exam, Simon was very sedate and quiet; he had a normal temperature and a normal heart rate. Palpation of the neck and abdomen did not elicit any pain.  Radiographs showed a needle lodged in the very back of Simon’s throat near the first vertebrae.


Anesthesia in the Geriatric Patient

Burl is a 16 year old Chow Mix who was seen by Dr. Sarah Hann in early January.  Burl’s family had just moved to Bozeman and wanted to establish themselves with a veterinarian.  For the most part, Burl was a picture of health, especially for an elderly patient.  His owner’s only complaint was his bad breath.  Physical exam revealed significant dental disease with severe tartar, gingival recession, and halitosis, all of which was contributing to considerable oral pain.  Dr. Hann’s recommendation was to perform full mouth radiographs and a dental cleaning.  Burl’s owner was very concerned about putting her 16 year old dog under anesthesia.


Rodenticide Poisoning and Auto-Transfusion

Cisco is a 6 year old mixed breed dog that was rescued from Mexico approximately 5 years ago. He was normally a very athletic dog, frequently running with his owner. Late one Friday afternoon, the owners returned from a funeral to find that Cisco was having difficulty breathing.They immediately took him to their regular vet, who discovered that Cisco was bleeding into his chest and was very pale.The referring veterinarian was concerned about poison or a mass on Cisco’s heart, and sent him to Gallatin Veterinary Hospital and Dr. Mark Albrecht for potential surgery to stop the bleeding.


The Importance of Preoperative Blood Work

Current blood work as close as possible to the day of surgery can prevent surgical and anesthetic complications.

Bridger presented for a dental cleaning at GVH on an early morning in September. He had been examined six months earlier and blood work was done at that time. However, due to his owner’s schedule, he was able to come in for a dental cleaning at that time. Because the blood work was six months old, the veterinarian in charge of his care recommended repeating the blood work prior to anesthesia and the dental cleaning. The owner agreed to have in-house blood work run that morning. The blood work revealed that Bridger had life-threateningly low blood protein levels.


Feline Resorptive Lesions

Bobbers (a 9 year old domestic shorthair feline) presented to GVH for a routine exam earlier this fall. During his exam it was noted that Bobbers had gingivitis and tartar with evidence of resorptive lesions on multiple teeth. Resorptive lesions are defects in the tooth structure. The pulp and dentin of the root are destroyed and the lesion becomes visibly evident when it starts affecting the crown of the tooth. Resorptive lesions are very painful and require treatment.


Rehabilitation After Surgery

Red is a 4 year old Neapolitan Mastiff Mix that was referred to GVH for a 2 year history of left hind limb lameness.  The diagnosis was a torn cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) that was causing instability.  Dr. Albrecht and his surgical team performed a tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO) surgery to stabilize Red’s knee in August.  His owners, Renee and Bill, were anxious to get him back to normal activity before returning to Pennsylvania for the winter so they opted for a rehabilitation consult with Jen Hill, CCRP of Paw-sitive Performance.  Jen is based in Helena but sees consults here at GVH every Tuesday.  At Red’s initial rehab consult his owners were provided with a custom at home rehabilitation plan that fit their needs.


Is your dog sneezing?

Fritz, an 8 year old Miniature Dachshund, presented to Gallatin Veterinary Hospital in the beginning of August for acute onset of sneezing after running around outside. After a course of anti-inflammatories and antihistamines did not resolve the repeated bouts of sneezing, Fritz’s parents decided to pursue rhinoscopy to identify a potential cause for his symptoms.


Only the Nose Knows

Please meet Outchi, she is a beautiful 2 year old, Old English Setter. She has such a lovely and gentle personality, at least at the vet office,  and is the last pup you would expect to get into any trouble.

However, she has two things going against her. First, she is a  setter and loves to do what she was bred for and that is get out there and hunt. Secondly, like just about every human child her age, you can get into a situation that is just a little more than you bargained for. Outchi definitely got more than she bargained for.

In early February Outchi started to sneeze and have a little bit of clear nasal discharge. Nothing really serious but just something her very tuned in human parents notice. On February 11th after watching things not clear up they decided it was time to bring her in to the Care Team at Gallatin Veterinary Hospital.

Dr. Gina Clouse was assigned to see her and after her a full exam, including looking in the nose, felt that the first course of action was to rule out a bacterial or viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. So they prescribed antibiotics and instructed that if she didn’t improve with the antibiotics they would need to try something more drastic.

Then something more drastic came two weeks later, Outchi was coming in for a dental anyway and the decision was made that a scope of the nose would be the next step. So on February 21st Outchi came in for her procedures. Her poor little nose still dripping and she was sneezing away. The procedure was started by giving her a pre-surgical sedation to make her a little drowsy, IV Fluids and a catheter were placed and when it was her time she was put under full anesthesia.

Now if you haven’t seen a scope being done,  be it on  a knee, elbow, nose, ear or other part, it is interesting and always has staff members stopping and watching. Yes…one of them was me. It is a lot like when a plumber drops a camera down to see what is clogging a drain. You hope to find what is causing the problem but hope the whole time that it isn’t something bad. Sure enough Dr. Gina did find it, but what was it?

Using the scope to guide up a set of alligator forceps, approximately 2 ½ inches up Outchi’s nose,  Dr. Gina located and was able to grasp a hold of the object. Slowly she started to pull and pull and pull. I can truly say that everyone was amazed as the object just kept coming. It appears that sometime in her romping and playing or following her nose hunting, she ran into a stick that broke off in her nose and got lodged there for a number of weeks. Okay makes my nose itch and my eyes water just thinking about it.  In the attached pictures you will see the actual stick after it was removed. It was HUGE.

I am happy to say that Outchi is getting healing up from her ordeal and a  huge thank you to Outchi’s parents for being great pet parents and letting us share her story.


I just wanted to say thank you to Dr. Albrecht and his staff for the amazing care they provided to my Mom's shih-tzu, Ebby!. You've given her a second chance at life!